Materials Science students in the APAM Department are invited and encouraged to contact the APAM Career Placement Officer, Kristen Henlin at firstname.lastname@example.org, for assistance with career planning or to learn more information about upcoming career events.
Below are a few of the well-known companies within which materials scientists and engineers work as a vital part of the manufacturing of products:
Center for Career Education
- LionSHARE internship/jobs database - Set up a job agent to be notified daily of engineering opportunities
- Domestic and international internship programs, including the Science Technology Engineering Program (STEP)
- Career Fairs - Engineering Consortium Career Fair/Networking Reception, Start-up Career Fair, Fall & Spring Career Fairs
- Alumni Connections and Networking Events, including Engineering Student-Alumni Speed Networking, Columbia Career Connections on LinkedIn, Employer Site Visits, and Professionals in Residence
- Individual career counseling, workshops, and online resources to help with internship/job applications, interviewing, networking, negotiations, and the decision to pursue graduate school
- Engineering industry specific resources covering career paths, employers, professional associations, internship/job sites, and research opportunities
The Alumni Association will assist alumni with their own career development and employment options as well as help alumni assist others in their career development. The Department will help alumni navigate lifelong career learning taking into account career transitions, work-life balance values, and other topics common to the alumni career seeker.
Post a profile on Columbia's University-wide online career network Columbia Career Connections. Alumni can search for and connect with Columbians in your field or geographic area, offer advice and receive it. If you choose, you can also mentor current students to get a warm, altruistic glow. All initial contacts are made through our blind email system, so networking is safe and simple.